It's a big day in my life when seafood comes into the kitchen and needs ice. I feel like I've come out superior in a Darwinian struggle (making it back from the supermarket without a backpack that smells like fish), and I feel like a slightly more legitimate cook when I actually need the fire to make my food edible, not just palatable.
Contenders for best thing about this recipe:
- People will think you're a grown-up if you mention that you made steamed mussels for dinner last night.
- Takes 25 minutes, tops.
- Mussels are cheap. Even at Whole Foods, where I got my bag for $5.99.
- Farmed mussels are one of the most sustainable ways to eat seafood in the US. They're grown on ropes and (being filter feeders), can actually improve water quality. Depending on your opinion, the only downside might be that you're eating the filter.
White Wine Mussels
25 minutes, serves 2-4 depending on predilections
25 minutes, serves 2-4 depending on predilections
2 cloves garlic
1/4 a white onion
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups white wine
breadcrumbs (over-toast 1 slice of bread and crunch)
2 lbs mussels
some would call you frivolous, I would not
2 bay leaves
1/2 a lime
fresh or dried rosemary
some would call you frivolous, I would not
2 bay leaves
1/2 a lime
fresh or dried rosemary
- Mussels should be eaten the day they're bought! Store them in cold, salty water or on ice.
- Get finely chopped garlic and diced onions going in olive oil on medium-low heat in a large saucepan (large enough to fit all those mussels!)
- When fragrant, add diced celery, carrots, and the bay leaves. Season with salt, pepper, and any other additional herbs or spices. Allow to saute on medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, clean the mussels under running water. Remove any that are open and stay open (ie dead). Clean by vigorously rubbing off anything on the shells with your hands.
- Add the mussels into the saucepan and let cook for just 1 minute. Then add wine, increase heat, and let steam until all mussels open, around 3 minutes. If the mussles start turning orange they've cooked too much!
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and serve with the juices from the pan. Squeeze lime juice on top to taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment