In July, I sent this amusing message to some of my friends and family. The affected tone is intended. Really.
Dear all,
After contemplation, discussions with some of you, and a New England lobster, I have decided to identify myself henceforth as not a vegetarian, but rather as a "discerning pescetarian." I still believe that my dietary choices are my way of supporting and adhering to beliefs about more environmentally responsible living. However, a distinction between vegetarian, pescetarian, or even omnivorous backed by this belief system is inherently misconstrued. Referring to the cheeky NYT contest-winning essay on moral justifications for eating meat, being an omnivore under certain conditions can be more socially responsible than subsisting solely on tofu dogs. With this in mind, and because I have found the joys of adhering to my strict principles to be less than those of downing a bowl of white-wine mussels, I have decided to use seafood as a way of eating a more balanced and hopefully even more responsible diet.
Love,
Shelby
I still crave a cheeseburger after a really long workout. This fantasy features a thick burger under a slice of American cheese with a pink center that sweats out oily juice when I squeeze the sesame seed white buns so nothing falls all out as I lift it towards my mouth. Problematic.
No comments:
Post a Comment